Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 3 - Church at Beza

By Tyson Payne

Church day, today started off just like the past couple days have. Up at seven, do some reading, drink some coffee, and enjoy a great breakfast with the rest of the team. We talk about what the day holds, (or at least what we think it holds) and load up in the van.  Baruk, our faithful driver patiently waiting to transport us through a maze stricken with pot holes, random farm animals, broken down vehicles, and pedestrians who don't seem to care much for cross walks. We are always in amazement when we arrive not only safely, but also without any dents in the van. The streets and traffic here can only be described as organized chaos.  Everything seems to flow, but looks like at any moment everything is going to come to a screeching halt. I feel confident speaking for the team when I say Baruk has some skill behind the wheel!
  We arrived at Beza international church, and I won't lie I was a bit more than skeptical to see what we were about to experience. Not because I knew anything about this church, but having been in many other church services in different countries here in Africa that have been less than enjoyable, or edifying. I had already prepared myself for whatever may come. That's not something I'm proud saying, it's actually quite embarrassing. I mean, we are about to walk into the house of God to worship with local believers. I'm not a very skeptical person, I've always been a "glass half full" kinda guy; I guess I  just let my past experience dictate what I thought we were walking into. I'm extremely joyed to say I couldn't have been more incorrect!
   We walked into the church, smiling and shaking some hands. Not looked at like we were there to put on some big show and save everybody that showed up (past experience). But rather we were there for the same reason everyone else was...to worship. And that we did. There is something so breathtaking about being in a different country half way around the world, in a room full of people you don't know, who we will most likely never see again in this lifetime and stand shoulder to shoulder with them and sing songs of praise to the same God. It's something so simple, yet mind blowing all at the same time. We listened to a man of God bring a message that was rooted in scripture, whose sole purpose was to bring the good news to the people of his country, not to put another dollar in his pocket, and a message that was  just as relevant here as it would have been if we were at our home churches. I feel truly blessed to have gotten to worship with the brothers and sisters at Beza church today!
   Church wasn't the only thing we did today, though noting else quite compared. I had probably the best bacon cheese burger I've had in Africa, so that was cool, and bought more diapers all at one time than I ever thought I would... But you'll hear more about that tomorrow



1 comment: